As Muslims, we all want to learn our beautiful religion. The number one source to learn Islam is the Holy Book of Allah which is the source of all guidance. Many of us set different goals in terms of our learning of the Quran and Islam in general.
Many Muslims have the ambition to become an expert in reciting Quran with proper Tajweed rules as well as memorize the Glorious Quran as much as possible.
A simple way to achieve these goals is to get an Ijazah in Quran memorization or recitation as per your preference.
What Do You Mean by Ijazah?
Before we answer the question, How to Get Ijazah, let’s first understand the meaning of Ijazah.
Ijazah is an Arabic word and its literal meaning is “authorization” or “permission”.
Technically, it refers to a certificate that gives its holder authorization to teach and transmit the Holy Quran with Tajweed. This certificate or license can only be awarded by a person who already has ijazah certification.
Simply put, Ijazah is a permit used mainly by Sunni Muslims to specify that an individual has been sanctioned by a scholar who already possesses Ijazah to transmit the Holy Quran.
Its purpose is to set up the account of the Quran via a series of approved transmitters reverting to Prophet (PBUH) then to the angel Jibril (peace be upon him) and then to the Almighty Allah.
Importance of Ijazah
Ijazah provides its holder the right and entitlement to verify others with the matching authority as well. Thus, creating an infinite chain of qualified Quran narrators.
Ijazah signifies great honor and integrity in Islam since the initial times of Islam. People used to come from faraway places to become a student of an Imam/Sheikh and stay with him for some 8 to 10 years. They either study Quran reading with Tajweed or Quran memorization.
Meanwhile, the teacher keeps testing the student for Quran recitation/memorization, and correcting him, until the Imam became completely sure that this person has mastered his knowledge, then he issues him his Ijazah.
Types of Ijazah
Ijazah can be categorized into two types.
- Quran Memorization Ijazah
- Quran Recitation Ijazah
How to Get Ijazah in Recitation of Quran
Ijazah in Quran reading is an authorization that permits its owner to teach Quran recitation. Plus, this Ijazah certificate can only be issued by an Imam/scholar who already holds this certificate; hence it creates an endless chain.
The learner acquires this permit after reciting the Holy Book from beginning to the end with Tajweed rules in the front of an Ijazah holder.
How to Get Ijazah in Memorization/Hifz of Quran
Ijazah in Quran Memorization is a certificate that permits teaching Quran Memorization to the person who receives it. This Ijazah certificate can only be issued by an Imam/scholar who already holds a Quran memorization certificate; hence it creates an endless chain.
The student gains this authorization after memorizing all of the Quran very well from beginning till the end and reading it by heart in front of the certified tutor.
How to Get Ijazah Online?
Many institutions provide Ijazah Course Online. You need to find one with highly-qualified teachers bearing Ijazah who teach the matching Ijazah course via one-to-one online sessions.
Many of them offer both types of Ijaza i.e., Quran recitation ijazah and Quran memorization Ijaza. The process involves an assessment of the aspiring student by an Ijazah holder teacher to check the current status of the aspiring individual in their desired field. Based on this assessment, the required course, the number of classes, and the method of education are determined.
The teacher usually begins by describing the purpose and meaning of “Ijazah” to the student. Afterward, the student will read a part of the Quran to the teacher, following the predefined plan, and then, the tutor will deliver the required supervision accordingly.
Upon completion of the program, the student has to read Quran with Tajweed rules correctly in front of the teacher to get an Ijazah in Quran Recitation with proper rules of Tajweed. While the student has to recite all of the Quran from memory in front of the tutor to get an Ijazah in Quran Memorization.
When a student completes the learn Quran online course and passes the test, they will be awarded an Ijazah certificate in the corresponding program.
This certificate bestows the student with the permission to teach others and delivers an Ijazah as well.
How to Get Ijazah in 2022?
14 and a half centuries have passed since the time of Prophet Muhammad (Peace be upon him). This is the era of advanced technology and the internet which has made it easy to obtain an Ijazah from a certified tutor sitting miles away from you over the internet.
So, to answer your question how to get ijazah, we will give you these tips or advice.
- Keep renewing your intent to learn Quran to stay motivated.
- Make dua to Allah the Almighty for means and support to continue.
- Try to be a good Muslim so that you become eligible to get this honor
- While you are seeking means to get Ijazah certified, learn the fundamentals of Tajweed rules so that your Ijazah journey can become easier when you start
- Have a decent grasp on recitation and reading of the Quran (intermediate level).
Don’t fret if you are a newbie. Begin learning Arabic letters, basic Tajweed through a Quran recitation program, and within two or three months, you can begin a journey of Ijazah.
How to Get Ijazah: Subtypes of Quran Recitation Ijazah
The Ijazah that is granted to students who learn Quran recitation with Tajweed, can be categorized into four subtypes.
- Ijazah to teach Tajweed with one narration, like the Ijaza certificate with the account of Hafs ‘an ‘Asim.
- Ijaza to teach Tajweed with seven methods of recitation of ash-Shatibiyyah.
- Quran Ijazah with 3 methods of recitation of Durrat Al-Maa’nia.
- Ijazah with 10 methods of recitation of Tayyibat An-Nashr.
How to Get Ijazah Online with Easy-to-Follow Steps?
Follow these simple steps to get Ijazah online conveniently.
- Get enrolled in an online Quran recitation program to learn how to recite Quran properly. Your goal should be to pick up on how Arabic letters are connected or disconnected and how to recite words, small phrases, and lengthy sentences.
- The next step is to cram up the Quran recitation without mistakes or errors by mastering Tajweed rules.
- Start taking a Quran Hifz/memorization course at an institute that has qualified Quran scholars on board. This step is only mandatory if you are aspiring to get Quran memorization Ijazah.
- The last step is signing up for an authenticated Ijazah Program and showing your skills to the Ijazah holder tutors so that they award you an Ijazah in your desired domain.
Ijazah is something honorable for those who seek to learn and teach the Quran all of their life. Acquiring an Ijazah may set you on a path to peace and content in the Hereafter.
Remember that the goal of learning the Quran is to implement it and deliver that knowledge to others.